Sunday, November 7, 2010

Inspiration






I thought that it would be neat to start a series of postings where I explain my inspiration for particular pieces. 

Sometimes I see something that inspires me in more of an abstract or conceptual way or in this case very literally.  I love sculpting flowers and do a few each season. Only very specific flowers lend themselves to the methods of handforging.  I have even had to take flowers apart to see exactly how they are constructed.  It is fascinating to study something that at first glance looks so simple but in reality is rather complicated.  Ascetically, there also has to be a certain symmetry to the flower for it to make an attractive piece of jewelry.

Particular flowers seem to have a lot of sentimental meaning for people.  I have heard so many stories from women who have bought my flower pendants or who have commissioned one.  The calla lilies that were in a woman's wedding bouquet.  The dogwood that was outside her grandmother's house.  The gardenia that was the favorite flower of her mother.  The violets her child used to pick for her in the yard.  

I wonder who will buy this magnolia and why.  Someone who grew up in the south?  Someone who vacations in the Low Country?  Maybe someone whose whose inner Southern Belle is calling to her. 


1 comment: